Cathleen P. Peterson, Esq.
The complex matters pro.
“Ediscovery is messy. Data is complex. Outcomes are uncertain. Bring it on.”
Sign up for a Free “Ediscovery Pre-Check”
Smart organizations know their ediscovery hotspots and regularly evaluate and fine tune their protocols. When was your organization’s last check-in?
Sign up for a free “Ediscovery Pre-Check” with a complex matter pro. It will be 30 minutes well spent but won’t cost you a penny.
Who I Am
High-tech lawyer extraordinaire
Champion of ediscovery and
information governance strategy
Who I Work With
How I Help with Complex Matters
1Get a lay of the data landscape – where is it, how is it organized?
2Evaluate what may have gone awry: unwind problems and find strategies to level-set.
3Design a plan to extract the most strategic value and eliminate unnecessary costs.
4Help teams leverage human and technology resources in a way that generates value.
An Example of My Work
A corporation with a subsidiary in Latin America was served with a Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) investigative subpoena, alleging unlawful payments to a local zoning official.
With ediscovery analytics, we helped the corporation identify the names of the individuals involved, the exact dates of communication, code names used between the parties and payment amounts. Knowing this information, the client was better situated to respond to the FCPA investigation.
Trends I'm Watching
What Motivates Me
- A passion for all things related to ediscovery, analytics and predictive coding
- Monitoring predictive coding results being generated in a document review system
- Ensuring technology used in discovery helps clients win
Senior Executive leading KrolLDiscovery’s strategic consulting team, forensics and collections practice – delivering client-tailored solutions to meet all discovery and data management needs, from preservation and collection, through technology selection, data analytics, search, technology-assisted review and data lifecycle optimization.
Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe (2009-2013)
Ediscovery Of Counsel, Legal Director, Discovery Analytics and Review Service
- Developed and directed the firm’s Discovery Analytics and Review Service (“DRS”), leading the search, analytics and review strategy for many of the firm’s most complex matters, including high stakes litigation, investigations and HSR productions
- Served as counsel and/or ediscovery consultant in meet and confer negotiations, including complex multi-district litigation
- Consulted with clients, case teams and co-counsel on tool selection, data processing, discovery strategy, data analytics, search, data disposition and document review protocols
- Created, staffed and trained the DRS Discovery Analytics Team, with a focus on industry-leadin,g search analytics and predictive coding technologies to enable more efficient document review and defensible search
- Led the firm’s assessment, selection and deployment of kCura’s Relativity platform
- Member of the firm’s ediscovery and privilege committees
Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr LLP (2000-2009)
Counsel in the firm’s Litigation and Controversy Department, specializing in large-scale investigations, ediscovery technology and large case management
- Counseled clients on data preservation and litigation holds, data mapping and collection, discovery analytics, document retention policies and regulatory compliance
- Led teams of lawyers and litigation professionals supporting multi-million dollar SEC, USAO and attorney general investigations, complex litigation and internal investigations
- Played a central role in developing the firm’s approach to staffing, managing and coordinating technology for large-scale litigation and investigations
- Served on Large Case Management Advisory Group and Ediscovery Committee
- Developed firm guidance materials for managing large cases, leveraging ediscovery technology and engaging ediscovery vendors
- Conducted training classes for partners, counsel, associates, staff attorneys and litigation support personnel on large case management topics
Kirkland & Ellis (1998-2000)
- Counsel, specializing in aviation regulatory work and administrative litigation
Zuckert, Scout & Rasenberger (1991-1998)
- Associate, specializing in aviation regulatory work and administration litigation
- University of Pennsylvania, J.D. 1991
- University of Utah, B.A., cum laude, Political Science, International Relations Certificate
- “Document Preservation: Know When to Hold ‘Em,” co-authored with Brian Corbin, ACC Docket, May 2015
- Participating Editor, Newsletter Committee, “ABA: Digital Matters – Technology for the Litigator,” 2009-2011
- Technical Editor, “E-Discovery: Creating and Managing an Enterprise-wide Program – A Technical Guide to Digital Investigation and Litigation Support,” Elsevier Publishing, 2008
Presentations & Programs
- “Applying Technology to Information Governance,” Kroll Ontrack Ediscovery Workshop, May 2015
- “Applying Technology to Information Governance,” Kroll Ontrack Webinar, March 2015
- “Applying Technology to Information Governance: Data Management, Litigation Holds, Records Retention and Destruction,” Legal Tech New York, February 2015
- “The ESI Report,” Kroll Ontrack Podcast, November 2014
- “Five Good Reasons Why Even the Most Cutthroat Lawyers Should Want to Cooperate,” Kroll Ontrack Webinar, September 2014
- “Technology Assisted Review in Ediscovery,” Women in Ediscovery, May 2013
- “Legal Outsourcing Support in Document Review Services,” Global LPO Conference and Exhibition, October 2012
- “Outsourcing: Sorting Out the Hype, Reality, Risks and Benefits,” ILIA Conference, August 2012